My local writers group began as a "Circle" in 1948. It removed "Circle" from its name decades ago because of the connotations that "Circle" had then. Those connotations are less scary now, and recent changes in the literary world make me wonder if it's time for a circle revival.
On "What Is a Writers Circle?" Katherine Payne writes
"A writers circle has many similarities to a workshop group. Perhaps I’m putting too fine point on it, but for me, the name is significant. A “workshop” calls up images of an apprenticeship model where a master of a particular craft demonstrates and works with students as they develop proficiency and then mastery within that particular craft. For writing this is an important model and the backbone of the majority of creative writing programs. I in no way want to denigrate that model as I have benefited from it immensely and know many others who have as well.
But a “writers circle” calls up slightly different connotations. “Circle” is a flexible term that can refer to any group of people who associate with each other. It is freed from the apprenticeship model, as a circle implies equality and a bond shared among members. A geometry that can be turned in any direction. It also has feminist undertones, such as a “sewing circle” that might provide a space for consciousness raising among a group of women.
Fair enough, but I think circles have problematic connotations too. The word still puts off ambitious writers. To me, the word brings to mind a circle of chairs with their backs to the outside world. Artists groups have similar issues. The cliché about village Artists Circles is that they focus on portraits, landscapes, and still lifes as if Art ended at Impressionism. Members paint for themselves, and join a group so that they can paint for themselves better. Each year they exhibit their work in the village hall. When challenged, members (who aren't young) declare that they might not know much about art but they know what they like. This is an unfair description of some groups I know, but that cosiness/isolationism is always a risk with local creative groups, and difficult to reverse. The membership numbers might not decay, but the group members get ever fewer successes, and budding, prospective visitors won't come again.
What's wrong with people enjoying creating together? Nothing's wrong - I think each town/village should have such a group. After all, not every artist wants to be Tracey Emin. Not every jogger wants to break records - even their own ones. However, I think also that each town/city should have a group that engages with the rest of the world too, that acknowledges that Modernism happened, that tries to reach out beyond their bubble, their circle, that tries to make the mirrors they keep staring at into windows.
Decades ago I was asked by a group to give them a talk. The organiser was worried that the group was getting too cosy and felt unable himself to change the tone, wanting an outsider to shake things up. Much more recently, people from another group visited ours, saying that their own group has become too settled, too keen on tea and biscuits. Talking to writers at a residential conference this summer I concluded that local groups for ambitious writers are doomed, replaced by small, invitation-only Zoom groups who often ask prospective members for samples of work/critiques first.
I think Covid was the tipping point. During lockdown, more people started using online options to meet fellow writers. They discovered like-minded people online who they'd never have met at their local group, and questioned the benefits a local IRL group has over international ones. It looks to me that experienced writers (often the lifeblood of their groups) are abandoning local groups and are not being replaced. Local groups might consequently need to reposition themselves in the market - an opportunity? I hope so.
My story collection "By All Means" (ISBN 978-0-9570984-9-7), published by Nine Arches Press, is on sale from
My poetry pamphlet "Moving Parts" (ISBN 978-1-905939-59-6) is out now, on sale at the
No comments:
Post a Comment