Saturday 27 July 2024

Submissions

I think some of my unpublished pieces deserve to be published on merit. I've other pieces that I'd like to have published for sentimental reasons. The pieces I have most trouble getting published are stories in the 2k-3k words range. It's not easy even finding a plausible place to send them to (not in the UK anyway).

But today I'm happy because I've finished sending off all but one of my pieces that I want published. It wasn't cheap - over £30, including fees to submit to magazines.

  • Stories to magazines - 6
  • Stories to competitions - 4
  • Flash to magazines - 6
  • Poems to magazines - 12

Chances of success? I wouldn't be surprised if they're all rejected. But at least I feel I've not let my stories down. I can focus on writing rather than marketing for a few weeks. One of the 2.5k word stories I've sent off used to be 4.8k words long - my longest piece. I'm thinking that maybe I should slim down some of my other pieces too - ostensibly for marketing reasons, but often the resulting story turns out to be an improvement aesthetically too.

No comments:

Post a Comment