Sunday 26 February 2023

Coventry

I went to Coventry yesterday. I haven't been there since it was UK City of Culture in 2021. And I've never visited Fargo Village - a bit like a little Camden Lock but with more containers.

I didn't know about The Philip Larkin pub either, or Dippy the dinosaur. But I knew about the roofless cathedral, the medieval (restored) buildings that survived the wartime bombings, the canals etc. It's an interesting city to wander around. The house where my grandfather lived as a children no longer exists. Even the street has gone.

I knew about Godiva of course (there's a taylor's shop named after her) but I'd forgotten about Peeping Tom. On the drive home I popped into Rugby (Rubert Brooke's birthplace; a statue of him's there) and Market Harborough (with its "improve the time" sundial).

2 comments:

  1. I made a cycle tour of that area a few years back - sort of skirting old haunts from when I was student in Leicestershire. Coventry strikes me one of those rather forgotten places - over shadowed by its neighbours and yet it is not without interest and history.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I visit birmingham and leicester most years. I like brum least and coventry (where my "Love" grandfather came from) most.

    ReplyDelete