Friday 6 October 2023

Writing and AI

I think the majority of literary competition guidelines now include a statement on AI. Usually AI isn't allowed, though the wording tends to be along the lines that they'll delete the accepted online piece if AI use is subsequently discovered.

Cult. Magazine has an enlightened (or resigned?) attitude - "If AI tools were used to make your submission, please inform us how you used the tool and why". Such pieces are collaborations of sorts. They benefit from the work of others, but so do pieces that were the result of workshop exercises, or pieces that are "after" another work.

It's hard to know where to draw the line. I use a self-written style checker on some of my prose to check on sentence lengths and work frequencies. No generation is involved. I could write programs to do various OuLiPo works for me (N+7, etc) leaving me to judge the best ones to send off, but it doesn't interest me.

No comments:

Post a Comment