Monday 29 April 2019

Cycling from Dieppe to Paris

We managed a leisurely ride along the Avenue Verte whose comforting signposts accompanied us through villages that seemed abandoned, past many little, run-down farms, stone buildings and chateaux, along rivers, canals, and disused railways, through industrial estates and woods, and across fields. We couldn't finish at Notre Dame because of the road blocks, but we got close.

We stayed at Neufchâtel-en-Bray (smart hotel meal), Gournay-en-Bray (an appartment - we popped to a supermarket to get food), Bray-et-Lû (swimming pool in restaurant, squawking peacocks, the birthplace of Eluard's daughter next door), St Germain-En-Laye (edge of town motel), and a Timhotel a few minutes from the Louvre. We passed through Gisors, Saint-Germer-de-Fly, etc.

I've not been to Paris in decades. There were many electric scooters (the sort you stand on, hire by the hour, then dump). I wandered through the Beaubourg region at night, which was lively, and I found this poetry venue.

I read John Fuller's poetry for the first time, and even liked a long poem. I read two poetry pamphlets I wasn't so interested by. I started writing a story about a theology teacher that I think I'll be abandoning soon. We took the EuroStar back, another first for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment