Saturday 28 February 2015

Does writing prose affect my poetry production?

Below are graphs showing how many poems, stories and Flash pieces I've written and had published since 1991.

I was curious about whether writing lots of Flash suppressed my poetry or story writing. Though a peak in the production of one type of writing often coincides with a trough on another graph, it as often coincides with another peak, so although there's a relationship it's not a simple one. I guess Flash and stories are most nearly the inverse of each other, which isn't such a surprise.

If one views the blue lines (how much I wrote) as quantity and the red lines (how much I published) as quality, I'd say I've not improved over the years. Nor has my quality control changed - the more I write, the more I get published, though my volume of output (which is never high) is patchy to say the least. Some years I produce no examples of a mode. Stories in particular don't come naturally - I have to commit myself to writing them; the temptations of Flash/Microfiction are too great. Increasingly my stories are episodic, a sequence of related flashes.

Or perhaps earnings should be the measure of quality. I hope not, but for completeness, here's the data.

3 comments:

  1. I have plenty of examples of micro/flash pieces which when line-endings are added, have become poems. And the converse. And off they go to respective markets, and no one knows the origin. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've done that too. Sometimes I don't even bother adding line-breaks. It depends on my mood and how the market's shaping up. My guess is that in the later 90s I favoured poetry over flash, in the mid 00s my flash tended to become stories, and more recently my flash has stayed flash (perhaps because it's more micro than flash).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn’t know where to start with a graph like this mainly because I’ve never dated any of my writing other than the poems. I couldn’t tell you when, for example, I started the book I’m editing right now. I seem to remember it taking about four years to write with a two year gap in the middle during which I wrote a play, virtually all my short stories and a decent number of poems. It’s always a surprise to me when I write anything that’s not a poem. I was a poet and nothing but a poet for twenty years and I still think of myself as primarily a poet; the prose is just stuff I end up writing when I can’t think of a poem to write. I’m being half-facetious there. What I am is a writer and I choose whatever form seems most appropriate for the material. I usually know right away even if I only have a sentence or two. I recall crossing the Clyde when “Milligan and Murphy were brothers” came out of the blue and I knew—Christ knows how I knew—this was the opening line of a novel. Not sure I’ve even had a piece of prose turn into a poem although, as you’ve noticed, I’m not beyond hiding a few lines of my poetry in a novel if they fit. A while back I thought of reformatting all my poems as single paragraphs because, at the end of the day, there’s only writing. Calling something a poem can be off-putting if you think you’re not into poetry (or have had bad experiences) but I never did; I like that poetry has a shape that distinguishes it from prose.

    ReplyDelete