Wednesday 29 August 2012

Edinburgh

I spent 5 days in Edinburgh, going to 3 fringe comedy events (Impro, New faces, and one about computers). I also popped into the Edinburgh International Book Festival at Charlotte Square. Lots of big names and signing opportunities, though I didn't get involved with that. Instead went to the SpiegelTent to hear a 4pm story by Kirsty Logan and part of an evening that started at 9pm, compered well by Sian Bevan.

Mostly I'll remember the buzz of the city and the experience of staying in a tenement block. I wrote a poem, a story, and I read Best British Short Stories 2012 as well as Sarah Hall's "A Beautiful Indifference". I liked both of the books. I found my pamphlet in Shelter's bookshop, Stockbridge. A pound. Hard to tell whether it was much-thumbed or whether it had been stamped-upon a few times, so I didn't buy it.

We also visited Loch Lomond (non-stop rain; our wipers packed up), Stirling, North Berwick (its harbour and Law), Berwick-upon-Tweed and Hadrian's Wall (Housesteads).

No comments:

Post a Comment